got me a college girl

in celebration of formal education in the life of the Christian girl

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Just who are these women? (Karen)

The last few weeks have been a flurry of activity with family in and out and a major deck building project in our backyard so I am slow at sharing my bio with you. And I didn’t want to enter this blog posting without this great picture that I finally found yesterday afternoon!


This is me with my mom and dad in June of 1974 at my graduation from Judson College. I just realized that I am the same age right now that my parents were in this photo!

So, here is a little about me….

I graduated from Judson College in Elgin, Illinois in 1974 with a Bachelors in Human Relations and a minor in Communications. When I went to Judson, we were on the trimester system so I graduated in 2 2/3 years and then returned the fall after graduation to complete my student teaching requirement, teaching 8th grade Language Arts and High School Child Development and (don’t laugh) Bachelor Living to a couple dozen boys who were barely 2 years younger than I was. If I only knew then what I know now….

I got married the next year and went with my husband to live in Germany for over 3 years where he jumped out of airplanes and I had babies! I look back on that time as earning my second degree while studying abroad!

We now have 6 children and soon-to-be 6 grandbabies and I continue to homeschool my youngest three sons. Besides reveling in the delights of homemaking (well, maybe not laundry), I also love to read, research, and write and have written a post-abortion Bible study that I hope to publish one day. I edited a pregnancy center newsletter for 8 years and spent 5 years doing online crisis pregnancy center counseling and out of that experience I am writing a novel/screenplay that will address the issue of abortion and men. I have been actively involved in my local Toastmaster’s club, taking a humorous speech all the way to win first place in district competition last fall.


Here is the whole family during our recent reunion. This is one of our favorite pizza spots!

My all-time favorite books are Uncle Tom’s Cabin and Main Street. I collect Grant Wood and Marvin Cone prints, their regional subjects reminding me of my grandmother and visits to her home in the country and stories of her youth. I also love to read essays and poetry by unknown, regional writers.

Before I die I have several objectives I hope to accomplish which include earning a Master’s Degree in Biblical Counseling or Women’s Ministries, completing my N.A.N.C. certification, publishing my novel and Bible study, winning first place in the Toastmaster’s International Speech Contest, and inventing the perfect meatloaf recipe!

I first bounced around the idea of beginning this college girl blog with my daughter, Mollie, because I have become increasingly concerned about the many voices among conservative Christian homeschool leaders that are declaring college a poor choice, indeed in some places, not even an option, for Christian young ladies. Their message has spilled over into the evangelical community at large and, for a variety of reasons, including views of women in general and the high cost of education, is gaining a hearing.


This is my sweet granddaughter Penelope. I hope that one day she will be a college girl, too!

It is my hope that through this blog we can present a valid case for educational choice for young Christian women, can plant some seeds for reasonable thought for those who have been listening to only opposing voices, and can be an encouragement for those who find themselves swimming in the sea of men-only-to-college waters.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:22 AM, Blogger prairie girl said…

    Yikes! I just looked at that piano and thought perhaps I should have been dusting rather than blogging that day!

    Oh, well, I'd like to say that I live in Bakersfield but that would be a lie!

     
  • At 7:39 PM, Blogger TulipGirl said…

    Wow! Post-abortion issues, Toastmasters, pregnancy centers, babies. . . Amazing!

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Blogger joy mccarnan | karagraphy.com said…

    i read Main Street (Sinclair Lewis') recently and enjoyed it. all-time favorite? probably can't go that far myself, but it was very very interesting. =}

     
  • At 8:44 PM, Blogger prairie girl said…

    Joy,

    If you were a "college girl" and moved to a small town in the midwest, you could relate, as I can. I often find that I am Carol Kennicott, sometimes liking myself and sometimes not.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home