got me a college girl

in celebration of formal education in the life of the Christian girl

Thursday, July 07, 2005

wise words on anti-college trend (Karen)

I discovered this quote tonight and thought it belonged here. It came from an interesting website called www.patriarchy.org. I have been pleasantly surprised by the content on this site. This was written by Andrew Sandelin.

Apron-Centered, Kitchen-Table Tutelage
The authority that some patriarchalists arrogate to themselves truly borders on tyranny. One has written that a father who sends his daughter off to college is guilty of irresponsibility. Apparently, all daughters must maintain residence in their father’s household to be deemed “under authority.” Not a shred of Biblical evidence supports this theory and, in fact, at times the father may be guilty of irresponsibility if he does not dispatch an intellectually gifted daughter to college. (The idea that children should ordinarily stay home and take Internet college courses is fraught with peril. We will never train culture-reclaiming physicians, nuclear physicists, and engineers by such apron-centered, kitchen-table tutelage.)

Obsequious Sons
Patriarchalists sometimes do even a greater disservice to sons. In ancient, clan-based societies, a son (even one in his thirties and forties) would remain obsequiously apprenticed to his father and would become the new, blood-based patriarch only when his father died. This is a pagan idea, not a Biblical one, even though some patriarchalists today demand almost unswerving obedience and servanthood from their forty-year old married sons. Sometimes in the process they completely trample on their sons’ obvious gifts, which could be used most profitably elsewhere. Any daughter-in-law that that permits such an outrage will suffer greatly for it.


You can read the entire article here.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:21 AM, Blogger Laura said…

    Wow! what a good article, thank you for pointing me to it. I confess that I had thought I would never agree with something on patriarchy.org but was pleasantly surprised to find myself wrong.

    I'm a "college girl" now in the phase of my life where I'm a stay at home mom. Discovering this blog has been fun and thought provoking for me.

    Keep up the good work!

     
  • At 12:40 PM, Blogger prairie girl said…

    Laura,

    Glad it is thought-provoking.

    I, personally, am always happy to have my thoughts provoked as well!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home