got me a college girl

in celebration of formal education in the life of the Christian girl

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Just Who Are These Women? (Liz)

Post number two in the series.

My name is Liz. I am significantly younger than many (dare I say most?) of these ladies, registering in at almost 23 years old. I started college when I was 16, and subsequently spent six years in undergrad enjoying the way I could let my ecclectic nature wander about from subject to subject. I graduated last summer with a B.A. in Liberal Arts and intend to pursue an M.A. in English within the next five years. Camille has recently got me thinking about adding a Ph.D. in Linguistic Anthropology on to the end of that, but we'll have to see what happens. A self-defined ecclectic, I have dozens of degrees that I would like to have before the end of my schooling. My parents like to say that I'll be a professional student for the rest of my life. I honestly hope they're right.

I did everything in life early, and married my husband three years ago next month. We have a 19 month old son that I am continually blessed to stay home with. I intend to stay home for as many of the early years as I can. I aspire to become/am working on becoming both an Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant and a freelance writer.

I tend to spend my time reading, writing, scrapbooking, sewing, and otherwise trying to be useful. I enjoy College Girl because reading the posts and discussions stretches my mind - and I can only hope that it has a similar effect on those reading us.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:40 PM, Blogger Rhea said…

    So you opened the floor for questions. Here goes: I would love to be a professional student but am running into the problem of financing my career. I am coming up on my senior year and I have to figure out what is next. I have thought of pursuing an M.L.A in English and Art History but am at a loss as to how to pay for it without getting loans. How do you do it?
    It is so nice to know that I am not the only one who wants a lot degrees!

     
  • At 1:43 AM, Blogger Ashley said…

    That is the hard part, financing this education! My advice is to check into the financial aid office of your intended university and make an appointment to go over all grants and scholarships they offer, teaching stipends, etc and also about their outside funding. In the UK, there's an Overseas Research Scholarship and most universities make up the difference in fees. Also, there are independent scholarship and essay contest websites like fastweb.com.

     
  • At 5:56 AM, Blogger cheezwizlizbiz said…

    I do use financial aid where I can get it. The thing that is most handy for me right now is that my husband works for the University I am attending. Because of his employment here, I receive a 100% tuition discount - so I am paying the technology fee and books only, which is extremely reasonable. Once we leave here, the financial aspect may be much more difficult.

     
  • At 9:40 PM, Blogger Rhea said…

    Thank you for your answers. I am hoping to get an assistantship or something like that. I like the 100% tuition discount :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home