got me a college girl

in celebration of formal education in the life of the Christian girl

Saturday, June 25, 2005

The First Thing I Learned in College (Kristen)

I went to college prepared. I had spent several weeks on campus in high school for various camps and conferences and I knew my way around. Heck, I had even stayed in the same dorm, on the same floor before. I wasn't going to be one of those freshman that walked around with a map looking clueless, I was going to blend in and be cool.

It took approximately 14 hours for the coolness to wear off.

I was humbled by my roommate, a cosmopolitan New Yorker who referred to me on the phone as "the crazy Christian roommate -- one of those evangelical types." I was humbled by my sophomore suitemates, kicking off the first day back with a thumpin' party. I was humbled by food, trying to figure out how I was going to survive on an average of 1 all-you-can-eat meal a day.

I decided that in the interest of finding likeminded friends and getting some free food to augment my pitiful meal plan, I'd attend every single kick-off and freshman welcome for every single Christian group on campus. Finally, an intelligent decision.

I made an older friend in InterVarsity, a junior, a small group leader that lived on my floor in the mostly freshman dorm. I learned that someone older and wiser and better acquainted with how everything works can be pretty helpful to have around.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:04 AM, Blogger greenemama said…

    it was smart that you checked the place out before you went there. i had NO IDEA what i was in for at BJU. :)

    i know what you mean about the coolness wearing off, though. same here . . . i think that there's something about being that age that makes it all the more important that the lack of coolness be exposed, kwim?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home